12 October 2015

Sweet potato and quinoa cakes



Once upon a time, I bought a box of three coloured quinoa from Wholefoods. To add excitement to quinoa I started researching around for other ways to use it. Don't get me wrong, I love quinoa but it can be quite dainty if you just have it like that with the rest of your meal. So I found this recipe that told me to mix it in with sweet potato.

The good stuff. Obviously cook it as advised first.
The other good stuff - sweet potato - mashed using a fork.
Combine the two with one egg. I also added in some thinly sliced spring onions and a bit of spice. Season. And combine together. 
Here's the not-so-messy part - use a fairly large spoon, scoop and place onto a baking tray. Squash down a little bit to make an even round and bob's your uncle - your hands stay clean. You can either choose to give it a little shallow fry - 2/3 minutes on each side depending on how crispy you like it, or for the healthier option - place in the hot oven for 20 minutes until it looks like it will hold together. 
The rest of my meal - the tiniest bit of porkchop with mustard, my quinoa and sweet potato cakes with veg AND salad. The English mustard tasted really good with the cakes actually. I would have preferred my cakes a bit more crispy but I was opting for healthy - it really added to my meal so I felt more full afterwards. It's a good thing to have when you have bits of everything left in the cupboard that you want to finish, and very simple to make!



No comments:

Post a Comment