29 June 2016

Ramen (Ra-meen)

I had burgers, and then it was pizza.

I’ve decided for 2016 I’m going to go on a hunt round London to find the best ramen – I realise half the year has gone already (what!) but I unknowingly started this a while back, I obviously have some subconscious obsession with noodles and broth.

So, here it is – the ongoing list:

Kanada-Ya - Haymarket
It’s difficult not to say this without an enthusiastic ya! at the end, which is half the reason why I like this place.

Like most trendy Asian spots these days, this place is pretty small and non-bookable (of course). However, we were seated pretty quickly after a trip to the Vogue exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery on a Friday night. Although, the strong lemon perfume coming from the toilets was slightly distracting – on the plus side, it was the lemon I could smell and not anything else.

I went for the traditional pork broth. I love pork, especially pork belly, so if it’s on the menu, it’s a must. The broth was probably one of the best I’ve had. It wasn’t too salty, light and creamy but still enough flavour to complement the noodles. I don’t usually end up drinking all of the broth but on this occasion it was all gone, and I was tempted to order a second bowl. On the other hand, that meant I was still hungry after a bowl which, to me, is considered a negative.

The noodles were decent – but they don’t quite match the elasticity of Tonkotsu (see below).
The menu is also quite small with not much choice to ‘pick and mix’ unlike other places – there was also no egg, which paired with the 3 thin slices of pork probably makes all the difference in my hunger.

Bone Daddies – various locations
I see Bone Daddies as more of a Westernised-Asian place. If you haven’t been to its bottomless brunch at its Flesh and Buns then do it. But based on ramen alone – it’s fun but not the best.

Menu wise – it’s great. Lots of choice, and the chance to pick anything you want and add it in.
However, the broth is generally quite salty and a little too ‘stock cube-y’ for my liking. Also, with the adding of elements, it ends up being quite pricey.

It’s a great place to hang out with friends and looks great when it arrives on your table but I wasn't a fan of the broth...Also note, it has been over a year since I've been so things may have changed since then.
I had some extra 'cock scratchings' to my bowl
Tonkotsu – Soho
Being in Soho, you can imagine the queues can get quite ridiculous, but turn up quickly after work and you can get a seat almost immediately. Winner. As you come in, you can see the noodle masters at work, pulling and stretching fresh noodles – there is nothing more appetising than that.

Let’s start with the broth – it was good. Creamy and full of flavour – although on the more salty side for me.

Noodles – this was always going to get a 10 out of 10. The fact that you can see them making fresh noodles – you know it’s going to be good. They also ask how you like your noodles – firm, soft, medium, which is a bonus.

The egg was awesome – perfect combination of soft and hard egg, it had also been soaked in some sort of concoction which really added a different flavour to what can sometimes be a bland egg white.

This was slightly more on the pricey side – we went for ramen, drinks and a couple of starters and added up to around £50 – which for noodles and soup does seem a bit out there. Even though the soft, silky tofu was good – I didn’t think it was worth the £6 – especially as it was served as is with a bit of sauce and spring onions.

Ippudo, Covent Garden
Opposite another branch of Kanada-Ya with the queues spilling out, it’s tempting to shout across the road and tell them to come to Ippudo where they have a bar AND bigger space meaning more tables. 

Although they do get quite busy later on. From the outside, this place looks a bit more high end compared to your usual ramen places but don’t misunderstand – this menu has lots of choice but fundamentally is all about the ramen (although I got greedy eyes and got myself a steamed bun).

I rather enjoyed this bowl of love. Good portion size with the choice to add more meat/egg/veg. The broth was perfect – light, not salty. The added vinegar and spicy ‘red stuff’ really added a bit of something extra.

The meat was good – thicker slices although I could have had more. The egg wasn’t halved which is quite difficult to eat when all you have are chopsticks and an Asian soup spoon.

The service was good and staff friendly. I would definitely come here  again – this could be on par with Kanada-Ya’s broth. The noodles weren’t as good as Tonkotsu, but overall – this was my favourite of all the ramen.

The steamed bun is really good too - the meat is delicious and no soggy bun. Hooray!



Shoryu, Soho
I rather enjoyed the feel and ambience in this place. The ramen was excellent. It had enough meat and half an egg. The noodles had the ideal elasticity. It was a great ramen but there was nothing in particular that stood out for me. Everything was at a high standard, the broth is cooked for 12 hours and is not too salty, but it was just lacking something.

The service wasn't overly great once we were sat down in the corner along the bar facing the windows and back to the rest of the restaurant but if you're not in a rush, a good place to sit and chat.

The pork bun I had was very good too - although not overly sure on the two thick slices of cucumber with it. Very good steamed bun but doesn't beat Ippudo.


No comments:

Post a Comment