01 February 2013

Review: Sartori Restaurant, Central London


What I had: a ‘Casereccio Panuozzi’ (Mozzarella, Italian greens & Italian sausage)
What Dinner Companion (DC) had: ‘Bistecca al gorgonzola con spinaci saltati’ (Rib eye steak with melted blue cheese & sautéed potatoes)

Unsuspecting in the busy area of Leicester Square/Covent Garden – this is a gem of a place I (luckily) stumbled across whilst browsing through various websites to find somewhere to eat that evening, desperately ignoring all the ‘expresses’ and 'huts’.

I ordered what was basically a thin slice of pizza dough with the filling (with splatterings of cheese and not overloaded with it) with another thin, crisp layer of dough on top served on a wooden board.  Before ordering my dish I had already pre-decided that I would not go for a pizza (due to the fact I have had way too many pizzas in the January month) but when you arrive at the restaurant, it’s difficult to resist the wood fire oven.  It was crisp, not over-cooked, not oily and was a delight to eat to be honest.  I am usually a self conscious eater when it comes to pizzas, but this one came in an oblong shape cut into squares and I was so happy to tuck into it, all my qualms were forgotten – even with the fact another diner duo were sat literally a whisker away.  I overheard (okay, so I may have eavesdropped a bit) one of them saying that her Italian friend had recommended Sartori to her, so that is always a good sign. 

DC basically ordered steak and chips, but the steak was a big slab cooked perfectly to the way DC likes it (rare-medium), the potatoes were also cooked just right. 

The menu selection is vast (that’s the only thing – it requires some studying, but lots of options such as pasta, fish, salads, various pizza types and a wide range of vegetarian options…), but the wine menu also has a great collection for you to peruse. 

The place itself is just off the busy road which I like, it’s close enough to everything but not obvious enough for tourists to fill the place – though I would recommend booking.  All the staff are Italian and helpful – especially to top up your glasses.    

Overall, this authentic Southern Italian restaurant is definitely one to keep in mind.  The prices are not too over-priced and I would come here again just to try all the other dishes I wish I could have had. 

Rating: 4 out 5.



One of the 2 foot long pizzas you can order...to share (if you wish).Image courtesy of Sartori.



No comments:

Post a Comment