28 November 2015

Review: Bleeding Heart restaurant, Clerkenwell


I first made a visit to the French Bleeding Heart bistro a few years ago where I tried snails for the first time. They reminded me of mushrooms which I'm not too keen on, but apart from that the rest of the meal was great, with fantastic service and atmosphere.

I recently came back to the courtyard in Clerkenwell - but to the restaurant. I must say that the atmosphere and vibe is very different between the two places. The restaurant is a much more formal affair. Our dinner was booked fairly early and so it was very quiet, and smaller than I had imagined in my head. That said, I very much enjoyed my evening there, the staff are very welcoming and helpful. 
Good things come in three's...and butter
We booked the mid-week offer of 3 courses and a glass of champagne for £35 (FYI - the restaurant isn't open on weekends) plus some extra bits in between presumably to 'cleanse the palette'. 

A beef on crisp. Who knew the two combined would compliment each other so well? Okay, so it was a bit more complex than that, but it was exceptionally tasty.
I started with Cornish Mackerel with beetroot, crispy curly kale and horseradish cream. I'm a big fan of mackerel so this was always going to be great, not overly convinced with the trio of beetroots but fish was very well cooked. 
Roast partridge with Savoy cabbage, glazed chestnut, parsnips and blackcurrant sauce.  This was probably the first time I had partridge and it was very nice. Probably not my favourite meats but it was a good dish on the whole. It was a very light  dish and each component added to each other. 
Desert time! White chocolate marquise dome with passion fruit sauce and salted caramel was divine. Give me more salted caramel! 
I had to take a picture of the other dessert as it looked pretty swish even though it's a cooked fruit which I'm not a fan of. Poached Poire Belle Helene with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce. 
All in all, it was a very delicious, high end menu. Everything was cooked wonderfully with lots of flavour. I do think I enjoyed the ambience of the Bistro a bit more, but the service is all the same - very attentive, friendly and not at all 'snooty'. If money was no obligation, I would come back for the full menu as there were a few particulars I had my eye on but the set menu is a very good deal for those who can't splash out all the time. 

Bleeding Heart Restaurant Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato   

No comments:

Post a Comment