22 August 2016

Kurobuta , Chelsea

The Chelsea branch has a very different vibe to the Kurobuta in Connaught Village near Marble Arch. Chelsea is very much the grunge and indie version, with the food from Scott Hallsworth, you know t's going to be of high standard but this one might catch you surprise just how chilled and 'not fancy', in a good way, it is in here.

We opted for no sushi this time - it wasn't intentional - the meat just sounded too good and as we were only a table of two, we thought we would at least attempt to restrain ourselves on over-ordering.

Beef fillet tataki with garlic crisps - fantastic. This was so good. The cocktail isn't bad either - but the lychee martini is where it's at. 
Pumpkin tempura was really fresh - not oily and crisp. The mayo wasn't as spicy as advertised though (or maybe my tolerance levels to spice has gotten better)
Miso grilled hot wings. Again - not as spicy as I imagined but a good portion of meat on the wings. 
Obviously this was a compulsory dish. The pork belly steamed bun with peanut soy dip. This still is the best steamed bun I've had (and I've had a lot, trust me). The bun is fluffy and not soggy, that added something, whatever it is, really adds to the dish. The peanut dip is not as good as I remember - I'm not sure whether they've sweetened the dip since but it's still very good. 
The Yellowtail kami yaki. It doesn't look like much in the photo but honestly the best cooked fish I've had in a restaurant. Flaky, soft on the inside with a bit of crunch on the skin. This fish is seriously meaty. I couldn't work it out at first, as I'm used to eating fish with its head still attached, but looks aside, this was a top dish. 
Tea smoked lamb with spicy miso - now this one had a spicy sauce. Good lamb. 
I had this dish last time - the sticky miso aubergine. I love this dish and I would have this everyday if I was allowed. Still amazing. That sticky miso is great.
Ok, so before dinner I really wanted mochi...so I had to have some. They couldn't swap the coconut one for one reason or another, but it wasn't too bad - I think mainly due to the fact that it was still frozen and so that masked the flavour - which worked in my favour really.   
I still very much rate Kurobuta. I think Chelsea has an edgier vibe over Marble Arch which for me suits me better. The soundtrack was also very 'me' and it was just a cool place to hang out for the evening on Kings Road - not at all the Chelsea scene you would expect. 

Stand out dish is definitely the fish, but the staples like the steamed bun and aubergines is a firm favourite. 

Kurobuta Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

1 comment:

  1. Great post on "Kurobuta , Chelsea". As a professional chef i have to appreciate your work. Keep Posting useful posts like this. Keep in touch with my websites- Culinary Schools | Cooking Schools

    ReplyDelete