07 October 2012

The Vegetarian Monologues

#1

So, I've officially started my vegetarian month.  So far so good...

I am surprised I've kept to it a week to be honest.  The first time I tried this, I forgot after only a few hours and consumed some sort of sausage (no pun intended).

As first week's go - it was pretty tough.  Not only did I make a trip to The Diner, I also made a trip to Brussels, Belgium and resisted the temptation of meat, and ended the week with a roast dinner - veggie of course.

I had a lovely soft shell crab burger from The Diner...with sweet potato fries...and onion rings - all to share of course (sort of).  I was originally going to give up the fish, but I think it would be a wise idea to ease myself into this non-meat malark.  Thank god for seafood is all I'm saying.


I also went to The Cheesecake Cafe in Brussels and ordered a Lasagne aux brocolis.  I think the translation is obvious - but it was literally all it was, green pasta sheets and cheese.  It was an odd meal, I believe there are much nicer vegetarian meals out there, but it was quite boring in terms of what was actually on the plate.  The dessert soon made up for it however, a warm brownie with sauce and ice cream.  If this vegetarian experiment goes well, I want to try being vegan for a week.  It'll be extremely difficult but I want to see if I can do it - as a forever-loving meat eater that is, what's one week of my life?


My favourite veggie meal from this week has been the veggie roast from The Water Poet in Spitalfields.    I have to admit I am one of those snobby people who will give a vegetarian dinner - such as a roast dinner a bit of a dirty look.  A few years ago, a Sunday dinner with no meat was ludicrous to me, I couldn't comprehend it.  I have to admit though, my spinach and ricotta cheese sausages were really quite lovely, and the fact that we managed to get a table (albeit outside but the outdoor heaters really do work - I even had to take my jacket and scarf off - I would recommend booking though if you want to go for Sunday dinner later than 12:30).  I would definitely come here again and try out the meat option - I have my eye on the pork belly available.


Here's hoping I won't run out of interesting meat substitutes for the rest of the week, so far on my list there's falafel, (more) salmon, halloumi and lots of veg, oh and my iron supplements.  

Hayley



No comments:

Post a Comment