14 October 2012

The Vegetarian Monologues

#2

Week 2 and I've learnt some new skills in my vegetarian experiment - how to stuff a pepper.  Now, as stuffing peppers go I assumed it would be easy - it was, until I decided I would make it up as I go along (as I usually do) and that's when it all went Pete Tong.  In the end I stuffed my orange pepper with an advocado, garlic and garlic flavoured soft cheese...it was nice, though a little too garlic-y, I had it with a serving of cous cous (never crossing my mind that I could have stuffed the pepper with it).  To satisfy my hunger pangs, I added a side of falafel.  For a Monday evening dinner, it did the job, if a little disorganised but that was more to do with my scatty brain than anything else.  Maybe the lack of meat is affecting me after all?

Mid-week I thought I would make a seafood paella.  A part of me thinks that I should keep this to myself but no, I will be honest...it turned out more like a risotto.  I like risotto, and I ate it anyway but that was not the intention.  It was a pretty decent risotto nonetheless.  I didn't keep to the recipe - I think that's where I went wrong.  I think paella is one of the few dishes where there are instructions for a reason and I should probably stick to it in future rather than spontaneously guess and hope for the best - my usual cooking style.



Come Sunday, vegetarian cottage pie.  I ventured into three supermarkets in one day and could not find any lentils (is there a lentil shortage?) so I used kidney beans instead amongst my delicious vegetables.  Making the sauce is something I quite enjoy - mainly because of the fact I know what is going in and there are no unhealthy bits and bobs I don't know about.  All you need is a can of chopped tomatoes, a stock cube, herbs, Tommy K (Tomato Ketchup) and soy sauce.  It works everytime.  



I love vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment