02 July 2012

Review: Poppies Fish and Chips Spitalfields

Poppies describe themselves as "service without compromise. Pop and his family have been serving fish and chips in the East End since 1945. No nonsense, friendly and quick. Takeaway or sit in to enjoy the informal, friendly surroundings and great value."

I couldn't disagree with them.  Everything tasted fresh, the potatoes for the chips were fluffy but crisp, more importantly the batter was not too oily, as that is always a deciding factor when eating fish and chips.  I went for the scampi and chips as I have a 'thing' where I can't order the same thing as someone else on the table. 
The real quirk about this place is its old, vintage feel about the place bringing a bit of traditional East End to the trend. 

If I am being completely honest, I have been here a few times before and I don't have any complaints, but have never sat down to eat, and I think in future, I will just stick to the takeaway.  There's something more exciting about eating fish and chips from cardboard whilst desperately trying not to drop any chips onto the pavement.  That's alsmost the fun of getting fish and chips.  Also, the fact that I was charged 1p for tap water seemed strange.  That makes me sound like a cheap-skate, but when it's free everywhere else, and given the choice, what would you go for?



Image taken from Poppies website


No comments:

Post a Comment